How long does it take to create a habit? We tend to hear that it takes 21 days, while other resources may say it takes over 60 days. Whether it takes 21 or 60, habits are something that we have to decide to form, have the desire to continue, and have consistency. We all have habits that we want to start. Many of these habits cross our minds as we strive to create a new lifestyle.
If this sounds like you, you aren’t alone! In reality, a lot of times our desire for a new lifestyle fails. But that doesn’t mean you have to quit now. We want to help you to know how you can succeed in your goals. There is a way to succeed. You will succeed. So let’s take an example of one new lifestyle goal – to lose weight – and let’s create some steps to achieve the goal, and make it a habit.
How to create a habit
Here’s some things to remember when you are striving towards achieving those goals:
- Have patience – Remember that each journey begins with one step at a time. Your journey is more than a sprint, it’s a marathon. Losing weight takes time. Healthy weight loss ranges from 1-2 pounds per week, so if you’re wanting to lose 40 pounds, remember it is supposed to take longer than 3 weeks! But that’s good – it will be easier to keep it off than if you lost 15 pounds in a week.
- Plan it out – Keep a planner of what you will do each day. Make a couple small goals that will help you get to where you want to be. Where do you want to see yourself in 3 months? What do you need to do today to become that?
- Keep track of the numbers – If your goal is to lose weight, keep track of your weight! Weigh in once a week at the same time of day so you can see consistent results. Again, remember patience with this. The steady changes will make the biggest difference when forming habits.
- Make small changes – Each week, make a small change in your life and continue until it becomes a habit. Add new changes to your life that will be for the better.
- Write down your progress – Seeing things with your own eyes helps you to see where you need to improve, what you have achieved, and gives you a better vision of where you can potentially be in the future.
- Keep accountability – Have someone that knows your goals, big and small. This person needs to be there each week, keeping up with your progress. Have you ever noticed that when you tell someone that you’re going to do something, you are more likely to do it?
How we can help
This is why we have created the 12-week program, to help you to achieve your goals and to create a new lifestyle, forming healthy habits along the way that will last you a lifetime. Here’s how:
- To help you with patience, the 12-week program spreads out for 3 months, to help you form those habits, one small change at a time.
- You can plan out your daily activities and goals with the accountability book that we will provide you. We also provide a menu planner included with the program, with over 900 dietitian-approved recipes!
- You can keep track of the numbers with a weekly weigh-in with a registered dietitian, or on your own if you want to do virtual.
- You will make a slight change each week – we call them “fixes”. These will be incorporated into your life and help you to achieve your goals! One of these fixes involves when you should eat, and how the time that you eat can aid your weight loss. Another fix focuses on the carb confusion and how to choose the right kind of carbs.
- You will write down your achievements in the accountability planner that we provide you.
- You will stay motivated and accountable with your amazing dietitian who will help you on your journey.
With each of these resources, you will be on your way to success. You will be able to achieve your goals and you will form habits. These habits will sustain you as you continue with them, throughout your life. See when the next enrollment for the 12-week program begins here.